Fun Facts and Idea Starters
- Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari is a family-owned theme park and water park combination. The parks feature the nation’s first launched wing coaster – Thunderbird – and the world’s first launched water coaster – Cheetah Chase.
- The Holiday Drive-In features six screens with double features and is one of few drive-in movie theaters left in the country.
- Spencer County is home to a state park and a national memorial dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, who spent 14 childhood years here. Lincoln State Park features 10 miles of hiking trails, two incredible lakes, paddleboat/kayak rentals, fishing, a nature center, and more. Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial offers a museum and film, scenic trails, and a Living Historical Farm that reenacts pioneer activities and lifestyle.
- One of eight wineries along the Hoosier Wine Trail, Pepper’s Ridge Winery is situated on a quiet country road near Rockport, Indiana. A local favorite, the Lakeview Peach, is made with the sweetest fresh peaches from Lakeview Orchards.
- Join 80+ Benedictine monks in prayer or Mass at the Saint Meinrad Archabbey. Tour the gorgeous grounds, led by a Benedictine monk, on Saturday afternoons.
- Monkey Hollow Winery and Distillery, part of the Hoosier Wine Trail, is nestled in the rolling hills of southern Indiana and offers complimentary tastes of local wine and distilled spirits.
- Lincoln Amphitheatre is one of the largest roofed amphitheatres in the county. The majestic 1,500-seat theater inside Lincoln State Park welcomes nationally touring acts and each year brings the story of Abraham Lincoln to the stage.
- Learn the magical history of a town named Santa Claus at the Santa Claus Museum & Village. Children can write letters to Santa at the town’s original post office, located on the village grounds. Every letter is answered by a group of volunteers “Santa’s Elves,” a tradition of more than 100 years.
- Lincoln Pioneer Village & Museum features a hutch believed to have been made by Abraham Lincoln’s father, Thomas.
Find a full list of things to do in the area here!
- The first Santa Claus Post Office opened its doors in 1856. The town’s name did not pique interest, however, until 1914 when Santa Claus’ 14th postmaster, James Martin, took it upon himself to answer the children’s letters.
- Just five miles from the town of Santa Claus is the spot where Abraham Lincoln lived from 1816 to 1830, between the ages of seven and 21.
- Santa’s Candy Castle was dedicated in 1935 and now serves as a free attraction for families from near and far. (Try the frozen hot chocolate!)
- Lincoln State Park was established as a memorial to Nancy Hanks, Lincoln’s mother, in 1932.
- Santa Claus Land opened in August 1946 as the nation’s first theme park. In 1984, the family-owned park expanded to include additional holiday sections and changed its name to Holiday World. And then in 1993, Splashin’ Safari Water Park was added to create an even greater experience for visiting families.
- The Santa Claus Post Office began offering an annual holiday picture postmark in 1983.
- Founded in 1854, the Saint Meinrad Archabbey is one of only two archabbeys in the United States and one of 11 in the world.
- At the Santa Claus Museum & Village, a Santa statue, established in 1935, is “dedicated to the children of the world” and stands at 22 feet tall. While on the village grounds, write a letter to Santa in the town’s original post office. A group of volunteers called “Santa’s Elves” respond to every letter—a tradition of more than 100 years.
- The Spencer County courthouse was built in 1921. It is the fifth courthouse to serve the county.
- The Holiday Drive-In opened in 1955 with one movie screen. Today, it features six.
Find a full list of area sights and landmarks here!
- Santa’s TOYS offers a year-round selection of toys for a variety of ages. Several demos allow visitors to play while browsing.
- Saint Meinrad Archabbey Gift Shop features one of the largest selections of inspirational gifts including Bibles, books, music, and DVDs.
- The gigantic Santa Claus Christmas Store is filled with collectibles, holiday décor, fudge, enormous cookies, and more. Find Santa for visits during the summer and Christmas seasons.
- Steckler Grassfed Farm produces pastured poultry, and meats like lamb, beef, and pork that come from 100% grassfed livestock.
- Evergreen Boutique & Christmas Shop offers two shops in one – a trendy boutique with clothing, jewelry, candles, and more, plus a shop brimming with holiday décor and festive souvenirs.
- River City Brew Works inhabits a beautifully restored historic building on Main Street in Rockport. Brewed at the nearby St. Benedict’s Brew Works in Ferdinand, the local craft beer selection includes a regionally famous root beer for all ages.
- Frosty’s Fun Center is the perfect combination for pizza, ice cream, and arcade games under one roof.
- Extraordinary event venues like Matilda’s Event Barn and Corner House Event Barn provide the perfect landscape for events of many sizes and variety.
- The award-winning Sun Outdoors Lake Rudolph is located next door to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari and offers free shuttle rides to the park. The resort hosts Halloween Weekends in September and the Santa Claus Land of Lights drive-through light show during the holidays.