Get Outside this Labor Day Weekend
Posted on August 23, 2022 In southern Indiana, warm, summery weather can last well into October. So, even though Labor Day weekend marks the “unofficial” beginning of fall, for many families, it’s a final opportunity to savor the last bit of summer.
And the holiday weekend is packed with outdoor fun in Santa Claus, Indiana, and at sites throughout Lincoln’s Indiana Boyhood Home. Whether you want to spend your time lounging on the beach or experiencing the thrills of world-class roller coasters, your perfect Labor Day weekend is right this way!
8 Outdoor Ideas for Your Labor Day Weekend
- Lake Lincoln beach at Lincoln State Park closes for the season after Labor Day, so be sure to plan one last day of sand and sun.
- Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari will be open Saturday – Monday during Labor Day weekend. That means you have three whole days to pack in roller coasters, water slides, shows, and special Kids World activities!
- Have a relaxing weekend on the patio at Monkey Hollow Winery and Distillery. Taste great local wines and spirits, and on Saturday, September 3, enjoy live music.
- Hit the trails—on horseback! Take a ride through beautiful scenic woods at Santa’s Stables. Traveling with little ones? They offer pony rides, too!
- Head to the farm… the Living Historical Farm at Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, that is! While you’re on the trails, be sure to check out the Cabin Site Memorial and Nancy Hanks Lincoln’s gravesite, too.
- The golf course is a great place to be on Labor Day weekend. Play 18 holes at Christmas Lake Golf Club. Or if you’re short on time, play the nine-hole course at The Rustic.
- It’s the perfect weekend for a picnic. And one of this area’s beautiful community parks is the perfect place to host one!
- Begin and end Labor Day weekend with a double feature under the stars! Holiday Drive-In is open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.
Be Prepared for Your Weekend Visit
Before you arrive, make sure you’re in the know. Download our area map to find your way to all the sites. And check out our What’s Open page to see hours of operation for all your favorite attractions, shopping, and restaurants.