Five More Fast Lincoln Facts
Posted on February 12, 2018
Abraham Lincoln is revered as one of the greatest presidents of all time. But, how much do you truly know about Abe?
Here are five fast facts about Abraham Lincoln:
- Lincoln's mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln, his sister, Sarah Lincoln, and Abe all had February birthdays.
- Abraham Lincoln did not have a middle name. And, it's said that he preferred to be called by his last name.
- President Lincoln established the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Perhaps farming the Indiana frontier had a lasting effect on him.
- President Lincoln established a national day of Thanksgiving after receiving a letter from Sarah Josepha Hale, a 74-year-old magazine editor.
- Abraham Lincoln never received a formal education including a college or law degree, but still managed to become a reputable lawyer. In fact, he won his first court case in Rockport, Indiana, representing himself against a local ferry boat company.
Learn more about Abraham Lincoln and the time he spent in Spencer County, Indiana, by visiting historical sights and landmarks
throughout the area.