21 Ways To Celebrate the Fourth of July
Posted on June 19, 2014 “I believe that it (Independence Day) will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other." –
Here are 21 ways to celebrate the Fourth of July with your family:
- Watch a parade, listen to live music, and more during the Abraham Lincoln Freedom Festival at Lincoln Pioneer Village & Museum in Rockport.
- Find out the best spot to view Holiday World’s Fireworks Extravaganza inside the park.
- Check out the stunning Bicentennial Plaza nestled inside Lincoln State Park that commemorates Abe Lincoln’s 200th birthday.
- Bring all the fixings for tasty campfire-cooked s’mores to enjoy around a fire.
- See Indiana’s tallest flagpole at Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial where Old Glory is proudly displayed.
- Try the decadent red-white-and-blue sprinkled fudge at the Santa Claus Christmas Store.
- Spend the day swimming and splashing around. View places with pools here.
- Relax with a picnic at a local park.
- Camp at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort or Lincoln State Park and bond over games, activities, and fun family time.
- Cool off with delicious hand-scooped ice cream from a nearby restaurant.
- Stop by the local farmers market and pick up fresh fruits and veggies for your meals.
- Holiday World has an entire section dedicated to this summer celebration! Ride Sparkler, Liberty Launch, and more themed rides during your visit.
- Watch Abe’s childhood story unfold in “A. Lincoln: A Pioneer Tale” at Lincoln Amphitheatre.
- Just like our nation’s capital, Santa Claus is full of statues. See how many you can spot around town.
- Learn about the area’s historic past by visiting the Santa Claus Museum & Village.
- One of only two archabbeys in the U.S., Saint Meinrad Archabbey, is located in nearby St. Meinrad and is free to tour.
- Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort allows guests to bring their own fireworks on July 4.
- Walk the grounds that one of the country’s greatest presidents once walked at Lincoln State Park.
- Grill juicy burgers and other summer time favorites during a cookout. Find places to stay that come equipped with a personal grill here.
- See the Lincoln Landing in Rockport where Abe launched his flatboat trip to New Orleans.
- Celebrate two holidays in one during your Christmas in July trip to America’s Christmas Hometown!