One of the most common questions we get asked at the Visitors Bureau is, “What do YOU think we should do?”
As locals, we know a thing or two about the area. And, what’s better than experiencing a new place from a local’s perspective?
These unique attractions in Santa Claus, Indiana, and sites throughout Lincoln’s Indiana Boyhood Home are some of our favorite places you haven’t heard of, yet.
Discover Ten Hidden Gems:
- The majestic Saint Meinrad Archabbey is a rare and hidden gem. Sitting in the peaceful countryside about five miles outside of Santa Claus, the archabbey is one of only two in the United States and eleven in the world.
- Pepper’s Ridge Winery can be found on a quiet, tree-lined country road. Sip wine on the patio or retreat to the cozy tasting room. You can even bring your own picnic to this winery!
- The Best Historic Destination in Indiana, according to Visit Indiana, is located right here in Spencer County.
- There are only about 300 drive-in movie theaters left in the U.S. We’re lucky to have the Holiday Drive-In located just outside of Rockport.
- The town of Santa Claus is unsurprisingly home to many hidden gems. The Santa Claus Post Office is seemingly normal in that it operates like every other post office. But, it’s the only one in the world with Santa’s name! The Santa statue outside makes for the perfect photo op unique in our town.
- The New Boston Tavern is famous for pork tenderloin sandwiches and smoked pork chops. Enjoy a beautiful drive through the countryside on the way to this restaurant located about 10 miles outside of Santa Claus.
- The Lincoln Amphitheatre is a magnificent 1,500-seat outdoor venue. Witnessing a play or concert is a one-of-a-kind-experience at Lincoln Amphitheatre. The seasonal schedule runs from May through October each year.
- The Lincoln Bicentennial Plaza is nothing short of amazing. Tucked close to the woods inside Lincoln State Park, the 58-foot diameter plaza is a peaceful retreat. There’s just something special about walking among the very woods Lincoln lived in from 1816 – 1830.
- Set among the rolling hills of southern Indiana, Monkey Hollow Winery and Distillery is just far enough off the beaten path for an authentic winery experience. Enjoy the gorgeous view from the patio overlooking the vineyard while sampling wine or craft cocktails. Plan to visit Saturdays May through October for live music outdoors. And, the patio is pet friendly, too!
- Pumpkins and More Farm Market is situated off of Highway 162 in Santa Claus. Inside you’ll find a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables as well as other edible goodies such as jellies, jams, and cheeses. In addition to treats, this farm market also sells candles, potted plants, wooden crafts, garden decorations, and other locally made goods.
You are ready to experience our destination like a local!