New year, new adventures! Just because it’s a little cold outside doesn’t mean you have to stay cooped up inside. There’s plenty of indoor and outdoor fun around this area, even during the winter months.
If trying new things or going on more adventures is on your list of New Year’s resolutions, or maybe you just want to get out of the house, then this list is for you:
- Take a drive on a quiet, country road to Monkey Hollow Winery year-round and stay warm sipping delicious wine. They also offer a small selection of charming gifts and souvenirs.
- It’s a must to stop in Santa’s TOYS — trust me, it’s not your typical toy store. Visitors of all ages are encouraged to come in, have fun, and play with the many specialty toys on display for demo.
- Skip the kitchen and take the family out for a home-style dinner at The Chateau or pull up a seat at their sports bar and watch the game with friends.
- Why visit just one winery when you can visit two? Head over to Pepper’s Ridge Winery for more complimentary wine tasting. Make sure to try the Lakeview Peach variety – a local favorite!
- It’s always the right season to stroll through the peaceful grounds of the Saint Meinrad Archabbey and marvel at the architecture of this local treasure. The view itself is enough to cure any amount of seasonal gloom. Stop by the gift shop to find inspirational gifts for your loved ones or a personal souvenir.
- You can also fight the winter blues with some retail therapy at the adorable Evergreen Boutique & Christmas Shop. Here you can browse a variety of contemporary clothing, accessories, and home décor.
- Christmas Lake Golf Course is open for die-hard golfers who don’t mind bundling up. Afterward, warm up with lunch at the 19th Hole restaurant.
- No matter the season, soothe your soul with some fresh air, enjoy nature, and even get in a little exercise on the scenic trails at Lincoln State Park.
- Spend a few hours at the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, where the story of the president’s 14 formative years in Indiana comes to life in the museum and film, along the park’s scenic trails.
- Frosty’s Fun Center is great lunch spot known for their pizza, their arcade area, and the giant melting snowman! The kids will love the arcade games after finishing a hot, satisfying meal.
- Lincoln Day is right around the corner and there’s no shortage of ways to celebrate in this area. Enjoy a presentation of the colors by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, special music, featured speaker, and other ceremonial activities to honor the memory of Abraham Lincoln and his family.
- Try the famous pork chops from New Boston Tavern. Warning: no other will ever taste the same again!
- The whole family will enjoy exploring the indoor Nature Center at Lincoln State Park, featuring interactive, Lincoln-era exhibits filled with plants, animals, tools, and more. The little ones will be having so much fun, they won’t even realize how much their learning.
- Up for a challenge? Get your spicy on at Hoosier Land Pizza & Wings and take on the Hoosier Land Incinerator Pizza. Yes, with mango habanero sauce and a variety of peppers on it… it’s as hot as it sounds.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth at Fat Daddy’s Grill & Chill by building your own “Avalanche” and adding whatever toppings your belly desires – you don’t even have to get out of the car, they offer a convenient drive-thru!
- Take a walk around the picturesque Rockport Bluff. There’s a trail that goes down by the Ohio River or you can take the stairs up the bluff and enjoy the view from new heights.
- After the holidays, everyone finally has some downtime. This is the perfect opportunity to reconnect with good friends. Why not catch up over lunch at one of the local restaurants? To view a complete list of dining establishments in the area, click here .
Can you do all seventeen? Don’t forget to tell us about your favorites!